Messages recommandés

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JUNE 6, 2013

DREAM THEATER UNVEILS MILESTONE NEW ALBUM;

GRAMMY®-NOMINATED ROCK ICONS TO RELEASE

FIRST-EVER SELF-TITLED COLLECTION;

WORLD TOUR TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON;

“DREAM THEATER” ARRIVES ON SEPTEMBER 24TH

Roadrunner Records has announced the eagerly anticipated new album from the legendary Dream Theater. “DREAM THEATER” – the first self-titled collection in the GRAMMY®-nominated band’s nearly three decade career – arrives at last on September 24th.

“DREAM THEATER” was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with founding guitarist John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about ‘DREAM THEATER’ and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“DREAM THEATER” will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 Gram Vinyl Double LP, and a Limited Edition Box Set. Pre-orders are scheduled to get underway sometime in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

“DREAM THEATER” follows 2011’s acclaimed “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.” That album – highlighted by “On The Backs Of Angels,” which earned the iconic band its first ever GRAMMY® Award nomination (in the “Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance” category) – proved one of Dream Theater’s most successful, making top 10 chart debuts in 14 countries, including our own Billboard 200. “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” was hailed for its ambition, complexity, and sheer melodic power, with Japan’s influential BURRN! naming it as the year’s “Best Album.”

Furthermore, the special edition CD/DVD set of “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” included “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting Dream Theater’s drummer auditions, which resulted in the addition of the gifted Mangini. The challenge spurred Dream Theater to extraordinary artistic heights on “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” and the epic world tour that followed. Long known as one of hard rock’s most powerful live acts, the recalibrated band hit the road hard in celebration of the acclaimed album, a 15-month trek which saw sold out headline shows in 35 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and South America.

With total sales exceeding 10 million albums and DVDs worldwide, Dream Theater have long stood among the upper echelon of hard rock giants. Albums such as 1992’s RIAA gold-certified classic “IMAGES & WORDS” (featuring the breakthrough top 10 single, “Pull Me Under”) have earned the Long Island-based band countless accolades for their visionary synthesis of melodic power and virtuosic experimentation, including being named as one of Rolling Stone’s top 10 “Best Prog Rock Bands of All time.”

Since uniting with Roadrunner in 2007, Dream Theater has unleashed a series of remarkable albums, each work revealing stunning new musical facets and creative avenues. 2009’s “BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS” proved a milestone, debuting at #6 on the Billboard 200 – the band’s highest album chart debut to date.

Dream Theater will tour in support of “DREAM THEATER” – full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.

Dream Theater is: John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), James LaBrie (vocals), Jordan Rudess (keyboards and continuum) and Mike Mangini (drums).

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Le HellFest, un festival Islamiste, Sataniste et Anti-Chrétien.

http://mich-mich.com/news/?p=4

L’influence de ces groupes, qui agissent dans l’ombre, est fatale sur nos progénitures. J’ai moi-même effectué un travail de recherche sur la toile et nos enfants courent un grand danger.

J’ai trouvé des photos de fans, adorateurs du HellFest et donc des groupes que j’ai cités plus haut.

emo-fail-300x217.jpgemo-fail2-300x225.jpg

:lol:

il y en a ici qui ecoutent du prog-metal ?

Prog en général, y compris prog metal.

J'ai été grand fan, je ne prends plus. On ne me fera pas acheter celui là en tout cas avant que je l'ai écouté à plusieurs reprises. Il y a manifestement un truc qui me dépasse avec DT: leur succès commercial a cru avec la baisse de l'inspiration et l'augmentation du plagiarisme. Un truc qui éveille ma curiosité quand même: Mike Mangini a participé à l'écriture. Peut-être que ça aura de loa gueule. Après tout, même Queensrÿche renait de ses cendres semble-t-il. Il y a encore de l'espoir.

Fast as a shark est l'indépassable en speed métal (non thrash / saccadé - syncopé).

Chaque style meurt - sans le savoir, quand l'indépassable est atteint.

Bien sûr, Helloween a encore fait plein d'albums de séries de tentatives de dépasser Fast as a shark mais le style était mort sans le savoir.

J'ai été grand fan, je ne prends plus. On ne me fera pas acheter celui là en tout cas avant que je l'ai écouté à plusieurs reprises. Il y a manifestement un truc qui me dépasse avec DT: leur succès commercial a cru avec la baisse de l'inspiration et l'augmentation du plagiarisme. 

+1000

(massification, toussa)

Fast as a shark est l'indépassable en speed métal (non thrash / saccadé - syncopé).

+1

Je remarque que, de manière générale et sans tomber dans les excès "true", les groupes les plus populaires sont aussi les moins interessants. La mode en Metal aujourd'hui, c'est peu ou prou tout ce qui fini en -core. Y a des trucs biens mais beaucoup de merde. Beaucoup, beaucoup. Je reçois toutes les semaines des nouvelles promos de différents labels, et on ne sait plus quoi foutre avec. Si on fait rapidement la liste des trucs qui ont marché ces dernières années, on a en vrac du Volbeat, du Children Of Bodom, du All That Remain, du August Burn Red, ... Pensons au succès de Soulfly par rapport à Sepultura...

Les albums de DT touchent de plus en plus de monde parce qu'ils sont de moins en moins bons, voilà pourquoi.

+1000

(massification, toussa)

Dans une interview d'il y a quelques mois, je lis John Petrucci donner une réponse étonnante à une question d'intérêt: 

When you’re in writing mode, do you listen to less outside music, to avoid “idea pollution”?

JOHN: I do. I’m really paranoid about that type of thing. One of the most important things, when writing music, for me, is identity. I think there has to be an identity, and the identity has to stay true to the band and to the players and musicians writing the music. Even though it’s great to listen to new music, and stuff you like certainly seeps in and you might get influenced, I find that – and I’ve had this experience both ways, so I find for me it’s better if I have a little less musical exposure before an intense writing session. And that helps to alleviate the risk of getting into using some newer things that maybe you wouldn’t have otherwise, that are outside of your style. And the other side of that is, if I’m purposely trying to pick up a style because I want to incorporate it. Let’s say there’s a certain composer that I happen to like, and I want to find out where they’re coming from, as far as their chord voicings or their movement or whatever, then I’ll study that composer, like research, trying to get more knowledgeable in musical styles more than it is being directly influenced by something that just came out. Because I think that’s dangerous. I think it can possibly infringe on the originality of your work, you know?

Sans blague.

En réalité, depuis Falling into Infinity et surtout Scenes from a Memory, il y a plein de passages pompés à droite à gauche (sauf sur le dernier je crois, mais je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de l'écouter beaucoup, ou peut être que je ne connais pas les références servant "d'inspiration"). Pas seulement des trucs écrits "dans le style de", mais carrément des variations sur des idées qu'on trouve dans tel ou tel morceau de tel ou tel artiste (ce qui me faisait parler plus haut de plagiarisme).

Et je me souviens quand je suivais de près DT (dans les années 90). Ils disaient carrément qu'ils amenaient des disques à écouter pour les sessions, ce qu'ils appelaient "l'inspiration corner", et dans les notes prises sur l'élaboration des morceaux, les noms donnés à différents passages se référaient régulièrement aux artistes auxquels lesdits passages faisaient penser). Bizarrement, à l'époque, les influences étaient bien digérées (Images and Words et Awake sonnent comme du... Dream Theater, quoi qu'aient pu être les sources d'inspiration). Même sur le sous estimé Falling into Infinity où les influences deviennent plus visibles et où il y a des thèmes et idées pompées ailleurs, ça sonne encore frais à mes oreilles. Sur le surestimé Scenes from a Memory par contre, c'est le lachage: inspiration corner takeover. Le même problème se répète ensuite.

J'ai du mal à croire à ce que JP dit dans l'interview du coup. Ou alors, au fil des ans il a reçu pas mal de feedback sur ce sujet (c'est joli ton truc mais j'ai déjà entendu telle idée dans tel album de Kansas ou Pink Floyd ou Tool, etc.) et a récemment décidé de changer d'attitude.

Dans une interview d'il y a quelques mois, je lis John Petrucci donner une réponse étonnante à une question d'intérêt: 

Sans blague.

En réalité, depuis Falling into Infinity et surtout Scenes from a Memory, il y a plein de passages pompés à droite à gauche (sauf sur le dernier je crois, mais je n'ai pas eu l'occasion de l'écouter beaucoup, ou peut être que je ne connais pas les références servant "d'inspiration"). Pas seulement des trucs écrits "dans le style de", mais carrément des variations sur des idées qu'on trouve dans tel ou tel morceau de tel ou tel artiste (ce qui me faisait parler plus haut de plagiarisme).

C'était pas la faute à Mike Portnoy?

C'était pas la faute à Mike Portnoy?

Bof, j'en sais rien mais ça m'étonnerait. Que je sache, le rôle de MP dans la composition a été limité à ses parties de batterie et à être un arrangeur de trucs écrits par les autres. Et si jamais il avait initié ce genre de choses, vu que ce n'est pas lui qui devait venir avec tel ou tel thème en le jouant, il devait dire aux autres "et si on reprenait tel thème de Jesus Christ Superstar" pour qu'ils puissent savoir de quel thème on parle, et donc les autres devaient savoir d'où ça venait et dire ok.

Au fait, l'histoire de Scenes from a Memory est inspirée d'un film, Dead Again. Je ne l'ai pas vu mentionné dans le livret. (En interview, je me souviens que MP l'a dit, néanmoins.)