Aller au contenu

Le dernier billet de Sowell

Messages recommandés

Thomas Sowell a décidé d'arrêter d'écrire. Son dernier billet : https://www.creators.com/read/thomas-sowell/12/16/farewell

Farewell
By Dr. Thomas Sowell

Even the best things come to an end. After enjoying a quarter of a century of writing this column for Creators Syndicate, I have decided to stop. Age 86 is well past the usual retirement age, so the question is not why I am quitting, but why I kept at it so long.

It was very fulfilling to be able to share my thoughts on the events unfolding around us, and to receive feedback from readers across the country — even if it was impossible to answer them all.

Being old-fashioned, I liked to know what the facts were before writing. That required not only a lot of research, it also required keeping up with what was being said in the media.

During a stay in Yosemite National Park last May, taking photos with a couple of my buddies, there were four consecutive days without seeing a newspaper or a television news program — and it felt wonderful. With the political news being so awful this year, it felt especially wonderful.

This made me decide to spend less time following politics and more time on my photography, adding more pictures to my website (www.tsowell.com).

Looking back over the years, as old-timers are apt to do, I see huge changes, both for the better and for the worse.

In material things, there has been almost unbelievable progress. Most Americans did not have refrigerators back in 1930, when I was born. Television was little more than an experiment, and such things as air-conditioning or air travel were only for the very rich.

My own family did not have electricity or hot running water, in my early childhood, which was not unusual for blacks in the South in those days.

It is hard to convey to today's generation the fear that the paralyzing disease of polio inspired, until vaccines put an abrupt end to its long reign of terror in the 1950s.

Most people living in officially defined poverty in the 21st century have things like cable television, microwave ovens and air-conditioning. Most Americans did not have such things, as late as the 1980s. People whom the intelligentsia continue to call the "have-nots" today have things that the "haves" did not have, just a generation ago.

In some other ways, however, there have been some serious retrogressions over the years. Politics, and especially citizens' trust in their government, has gone way downhill.

Back in 1962, President John F. Kennedy, a man narrowly elected just two years earlier, came on television to tell the nation that he was taking us to the brink of nuclear war with the Soviet Union, because the Soviets had secretly built bases for nuclear missiles in Cuba, just 90 miles from America.

Most of us did not question what he did. He was President of the United States, and he knew things that the rest of us couldn't know — and that was good enough for us. Fortunately, the Soviets backed down. But could any President today do anything like that and have the American people behind him?

Years of lying Presidents — Democrat Lyndon Johnson and Republican Richard Nixon, especially — destroyed not only their own credibility, but the credibility which the office itself once conferred. The loss of that credibility was a loss to the country, not just to the people holding that office in later years.

With all the advances of blacks over the years, nothing so brought home to me the social degeneration in black ghettoes like a visit to a Harlem high school some years ago.

When I looked out the window at the park across the street, I mentioned that, as a child, I used to walk my dog in that park. Looks of horror came over the students' faces, at the thought of a kid going into the hell hole which that park had become in their time.

When I have mentioned sleeping out on a fire escape in Harlem during hot summer nights, before most people could afford air-conditioning, young people have looked at me like I was a man from Mars. But blacks and whites alike had been sleeping out on fire escapes in New York since the 19th century. They did not have to contend with gunshots flying around during the night.

We cannot return to the past, even if we wanted to, but let us hope that we can learn something from the past to make for a better present and future.

Goodbye and good luck to all.

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305. His website is www.tsowell.com. To find out more about Thomas Sowell and read features by other Creators Syndicate columnists and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate webpage at www.creators.com.

• Yea 1

It is hard to convey to today's generation the fear that the paralyzing disease of polio inspired, until vaccines put an abrupt end to its long reign of terror in the 1950s.

On voit maintenant ce qu'il en est de l'opinion sur la vaccination. C'est fou on a passé le point où ça a tellement bien marché qu'une partie non négligeable de la population n'en voit plus l'intérêt.

On voit maintenant ce qu'il en est de l'opinion sur la vaccination. C'est fou on a passé le point où ça a tellement bien marché qu'une partie non négligeable de la population n'en voit plus l'intérêt.

on a passé le point où ça a tellement bien marché qu'une partie de l'industrie des vaccins, surfant sur la haute réputation des vaccins qui fonctionnent bien, essaye de proposer des "vaccins" qui n'ont plus grand chose à voir avec le concept même de vaccin, fournit des "études" merdeuses, se retrouve avec des personnes intoxiquées/empoisonnées ... ce qui à l'époque d'internet produit un vilain effet boomerang.

Ce sont bien les accidents de vaccination, quand ils sont hors normes, couplés à la coercition, qui donnent du grain à moudre aux inquiets et qui initient la défiance.

Le binôme crony<->état d'inconscients qui jouent à ce jeu de con, qui menace pour le coup l'ensemble de la vaccination, mérite la corde.

Il me semble que Sowell a appelé à votre "contre Hilary" dernièrement. Considérant que Trump était un probable désastre là où Clinton était un désastre certain. 

J'imagine qu'il a toujours été distant du parti libertarien. Non ?

J'imagine qu'il a toujours été distant du parti libertarien. Non ?

Oui, à Chicago on est généralement "libertarian Republican" et non "registered Libertarian".

Les anti-vaccinations te diront que c'est l'amélioration de l'hygiène qui a permis le recul de cette maladie.
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Citation

Sowell’s magnum opus begins. As the title suggests, the book is not only about knowledge (in Hayek’s sense) but also about the decisions we make—in economics, politics, war, and much else—based on such knowledge. In a world where each person’s knowledge amounts to a speck in an ocean of ignorance, Sowell’s thesis holds that “the most fundamental decision is not what decision to make but who is to make it.” While decision makers may speak in terms of goals—ending poverty, reducing racism, spreading democracy, and so on—all they can actually do is to begin processes. Thus, when faced with the question, “Who gets to decide?,” we ought to answer not by reference to the superior goals or moral fiber of some institution or another but to the incentives and constraints facing different decision makers.

wow, ça doit etre évident pour pas mal d'entre-vous mais subitement je vois toutes les lumières de l'administration et un lien évident avec la sociologie des organisations qui s'illuminent.

et un livre de plus à acheter 

• Yea 1
il y a 31 minutes, poney a dit :

wow, ça doit etre évident pour pas mal d'entre-vous mais subitement je vois toutes les lumières de l'administration et un lien évident avec la sociologie des organisations qui s'illuminent.

Thomas Sowell, the most underrated contemporary public intellectual.

Je pense que plus de la moitié de tout ce qu'il a publié au cours de sa vie est authentiquement intéressant (et j'y compte ses éditos hebdomadaires pendant 35 ans, ce qui fait un volume total tout à fait considérable, et rend cette "moitié" très impressionnante).

• Post de référence 1
1 hour ago, Rincevent said:

Thomas Sowell, the most underrated contemporary public intellectual.

Je pense que plus de la moitié de tout ce qu'il a publié au cours de sa vie est authentiquement intéressant (et j'y compte ses éditos hebdomadaires pendant 35 ans, ce qui fait un volume total tout à fait considérable, et rend cette "moitié" très impressionnante).

Un des critères de qualité d’un éditorialiste , c’est de pouvoir lire 10 ans plus tard ce qu’il écrivait 10 ans plus 10 tôt, en trouvant cela éclairant.

C’est un critère difficile, que Sowell passe haut la main . Faire la même chose avec BHL, Alain Minc ou Christophe Barbier donne des résultats « divertissants »

il y a 4 minutes, Lameador a dit :

Un des critères de qualité d’un éditorialiste , c’est de pouvoir lire 10 ans plus tard ce qu’il écrivait 10 ans plus 10 tôt, en trouvant cela éclairant.

C’est un critère difficile, que Sowell passe haut la main . Faire la même chose avec BHL, Alain Minc ou Christophe Barbier donne des résultats « divertissants »

C'est un critère très exigeant. Et pour dire, Revel ne le passe pas toujours (heureusement, c'est toujours un bonheur de lire son style magnifique).

il y a 58 minutes, Extremo a dit :

La partie sur son fils qui a eu du mal à apprendre à parler est fascinante. Je savais pas qu'il avait écrit deux livres à ce sujet.

Non seulement il a écrit deux livres sur le sujet, mais Steven Pinker a écrit ceci sur le deuxième : "This is an invaluable contribution to human knowledge by one of the great minds of our time.". Pour rappel, Pinker est psycholinguiste ; en d'autres termes, Sowell a écrit deux livres dont le sujet est exactement le domaine de recherche auquel Pinker a consacré sa carrière, ce qui donne encore plus de poids à son éloge.

Il y a 8 heures, Lameador a dit :

Je vais citer un peu de ce que Llosa écrivait en 1991

... affreux de voir comme c'était bien vu.

Et sans doute éclairant sur la suite à venir.

On 8/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, poney said:

Juste pour préciser qu'il s'agit du livre "Knowledge and Decisions".

• 3 months later...
Il y a 2 heures, PABerryer a dit :

Quels livres de Sowell me recomanderiez-vous histoire de commencer ?

Bah ça dépend du sujet. J'ai un peu peur que Sowell soit un de ces auteurs (un peu comme Léo Strauss dans un autre domaine) pour lesquels il est plus court de lister les oeuvres non essentielles. :lol: 

• Yea 1
il y a 14 minutes, Rincevent a dit :

Bah ça dépend du sujet. J'ai un peu peur que Sowell soit un de ces auteurs (un peu comme Léo Strauss dans un autre domaine) pour lesquels il est plus court de lister les oeuvres non essentielles. :lol: 

Il n'a pas travaillé sur les questions de race et économie? Pour moi, c'est d'abord un économiste non?

il y a 12 minutes, PABerryer a dit :

Il n'a pas travaillé sur les questions de race et économie? Pour moi, c'est d'abord un économiste non?

Il a aussi travaillé sur le rôle des intellectuels et la place de l'idéologie, des livres qui sont restés des références. Ainsi que sur le rôle de la culture, là encore des ouvrages importants. 

Il a aussi, presque en passant, fait de la vulgarisation économique et travaillé en théorie de la décision. Il a même ouvert un champ nouveau en psycholinguistique, for reasons.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Il y a 2 heures, Sekonda a dit :

Excellent intervieweur. Il est d'ailleurs l'auteur du célèbre discours "tear down this wall" prononcé par Ronald Reagan.

Il a de nombreuses interviews non seulement avec Sowell mais également avec Friedman:

Et celle-ci doit être la dernière avec Sowell:

• Yea 3