Aller au contenu

Republican Presidential Candidates

Nico

Messages recommandés

• 2 weeks later...

Giuliani tente de draguer à nouveau la NRA après l'avoir traitée d'"extrémiste":

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote200…8727&page=1

Former New York Mayor Courts Gun Lobby

Rudy Giuliani Attempts to Reassure Group he Once Likened to "Extremists"

Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani presented himself to members of the the nation's largest gun owners' advocacy group, the National Rifle Association, a group he once likened to "extremists," Friday. Leaving behind his former position calling for stricter gun control, the former mayor of New York attempted to reassure an estimated 500 lifetime members of the NRA that he supports the Second Amendment's right to bear arms.

"I'm very happy to be here in front of the NRA, because there are a lot of things that you and I have in common," Giuliani said. "There are probably a few things we disagree about, but there are many more things that we have in common."

In a 20-minute address, the former mayor attempted to distance himself from his previous position supporting the Brady bill and a ban on assault weapons, and an effort to hold gun manufacturers liable in court for gun crimes.

In 2000, as mayor of New York City, Giuliani went after gun manufacturers, filing a lawsuit against companies like Smith & Wesson, Glock and Colt to hold them accountable for violent crimes involving firearms.

And in a 1995 interview with PBS' Charlie Rose, the former mayor likened the NRA members to "extremists," calling their defense of assault weapons "a terrible, terrible mistake."

Asked whether he still believed that gun companies should be held liable for gun crimes, Giuliani distanced himself, saying, "I think that lawsuit has gone in a direction that I probably don't agree with at this point."

Giuliani Courts Gun Owners

Remade as a 2008 Republican presidential hopeful, Giuliani made a states' rights argument before the NRA crowd, and pledged to appoint "strict constructionist" judges to the Supreme Court who would uphold the Constitution. suggesting that restrictive gun laws suitable for larger metropolises may not be necessary in rural communities.

Touting his record on reducing crime as mayor, Giuliani positioned himself as a crime fighter pledging to strengthen the enforcement of laws.

"You never get a candidate you agree with 100 percent -- I'm not sure I even agree with myself 100 percent," he said. "You have to figure out who's electable, who can win."

A testament to the power and influence of the NRA, all the leading Republican presidential hopefuls made their '08 case — either in person or via video — to the invite-only crowd at the Capital Hilton in Washington, D.C., in a forum billed as a discussion of "Second Amendment Rights as a Core American Value."

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson -- the only Democratic presidential hopeful invited to the forum -- is addressing the group in a video message.

McCain Slams Giuliani, Romney at NRA Forum

At the gathering today, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., delivered a swipe at Giuliani — who once likened the NRA to extremists.

"For more than two decades, I've opposed the efforts of the anti-gun crowd to ban guns, ban ammunition, ban magazines and paint-gun owners as some kind of fringe group, dangerous in 'modern' America. Some even call you 'extremists,'" McCain said today, referencing a 1995 comment made by Giuliani.

"My friends, gun owners are not extremists. You are the core of modern America. You are pretty used to hearing aspirants for public office come before you and pledge fealty to the cause of the Second Amendment," McCain said.

"You know you need to dig into a politician's record to find out where they really stand. You know some will change their position or have little record for you to judge. That is not the case with me," he said.

In another swipe at Giuliani, McCain reminded the NRA crowd that he'd voted for a congressional bill that banned lawsuits against gun manufacturers that would hold them accountable for gun-related crimes.

"This was a particularly devious effort to use lawsuits to bankrupt our great gun manufacturers," McCain said. "A number of big-city mayors decided it was more important to blame the manufacturers of a legal product than it was to control crime in their own cities. Fortunately, we are able to protect manufacturers from these frivolous lawsuits."

McCain delivered another swipe at Romney, who, in an effort to brandish his gun credentials, once said he hunted "small varmints."

"There is the hunting myth," McCain said, "if you show your bona fides by hunting ducks or varmints or quail, it makes up for support for gun control. This myth overlooks a fundamental truth: The Second Amendment is not about hunting, it is about freedom."

Romney Via Video

Romney has also been accused of changing his position on gun control, buying his first NRA membership last August.

During the time he was governor of Massachusetts, Romney pledged to uphold the state's gun control laws. He has previously supported a ban on some assault weapons and federal waiting periods before gun purchases.

More recently, Romney told a man wearing a NRA cap in New Hampshire, "I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life."

It was later reported that Romney had only been on two hunting trips, prompting the candidate to explain, "I'm by no means a big game hunter. I'm more Jed Clampett than Teddy Roosevelt," he said at the time.

Romney delivered his NRA message via video.

"I support the Second Amendment as one of the most basic and fundamental rights of every American. It's essential to our functioning as a free society, as are all the liberties enumerated in the Bill of Rights," Romney said on the video. "I'd be proud to have your support again as I campaign for president."

Romney took a swipe of his own at McCain's support for campaign finance reform. The NRA has long railed against McCain's attempts to reform for campaign finance laws believing it encroaches on their ability to financially support the pro-gun rights candidates they endorse.

"As president … I'll ask Congress to repeal the McCain-Feingold law, which sought to impose restrictions on the First Amendment rights of groups like the NRA to advocate for issues we care about. Some parts have already been declared unconstitutional. We ought to get rid of the entire bill," Romney said.

During the 2008 election campaign, Romney has been accused of flip-flopping on gun rights. During the time he was governor of Massachusetts, Romney pledged to uphold the state's gun control laws. He has previously supported a ban on some assault weapons and federal waiting periods before gun purchases.

In an effort to boost Romney's gun rights credentials, the campaign announced early Friday that a former NRA director of general operations, Craig Sandler, endorsed the governor's '08 bid.

Thompson Receives Warm Welcome from NRA

Republican candidate Fred Thompson, a former Republican senator from Tennessee, received a warm welcome from the NRA crowd. He told the group his relationship with the National Rifle Association goes "way back" and touted recent campaign stops to a gun store and his visit to a gun show Saturday in Lakeland, Fla.

Brandishing his gun rights credentials, Thompson said he believes gun shows are a "part of Americana" and said if elected, he would support the Bush administration's position on the Second Amendment.

In a dig to Romney and Giuliani, Thompson said his philosophy on the Second Amendment to bear arms "does not depend on his geography."

Thompson, who was introduced by his campaign biopic video, also took questions submitted by conference attendees, stating he believed gun shows were a "part of Americana" and that if elected, he would support the current administration's position of the Second Amendment allowing and protecting the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms.

NRA Yet to Endorse Any Candidate

While the influential gun-rights group has yet to endorse any particular candidate, Chris Cox, chief lobbyist for the NRA, said it is evaluating a candidate's past, present and possible future record on gun rights.

"We're a force in American politics because of our members," Cox explained. "They're very savvy about evaluating candidates and their positions. They're in every precinct and at every local primary and will have a major impact on any election."

Cox acknowledged that many of the NRA's 4 million members are skeptical of some of the leading GOP candidates — former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, among them — who have been accused of shifting their positions on gun rights.

Dans le blog de Laetitia Mailhes, associé aux Echos

Candidat Ron Paul, phénomène du web

Ron Paul. Si ce nom ne vous dit rien, c’est que la plupart des Américains non plus n’ont jamais entendu parler de lui. Les exceptions se retrouvent essentiellement dans deux contingents : les électeurs texans qui l’ont élu puis réélu à neuf reprises au Congrès depuis 1976, et les internautes friands de blogs politiques ou adeptes de YouTube.

Une recherche sur Google suffit à confirmer que l’obstétricien septuagénaire du Texas est en train de s’imposer comme le nouveau phénomène du web politique américain (45,3 millions de liens, contre 2,3 millions pour son rival Rudy Giuliani). Exclu du sérail des candidats présidentiels oints par les médias américains, en dépit de sa popularité dans les débats publics, “Ron Paul” figure depuis plusieurs semaines parmi les dix requêtes les plus fréquentes sur Technorati, le moteur de recherche de blogs. Sur YouTube, avec plus de 28 900 clips vidéo et 29 000 abonnés à sa “chaîne”, le représentant républicain surpasse haut la main ses rivaux tous partis confondus : John McCain, 1 600 abonnés ; Hillary Clinton, 6 000 ; Rudy Giuliani, pressenti comme favori, n’a pas de “chaîne” ; Barack Obama se distingue en vaillant second avec plus de 11 100 inscrits.

Selon le rapport trimestriel de la Federal Election Commission publié cette semaine, Ron Paul était le quatrième candidat républicain le plus argenté au second trimestre de la campagne des primaires. Détail notable : près de la moitié (47%) de ses contributions proviennent de donations individuelles de moins de 200 dollars chacune (le numéro deux dans cette catégorie est John McCain à 17%). L’argument porte, parmi les électeurs séduits par son indépendance à l’égard des milieux d’affaires et son refus systématique de soutenir les intérêts particuliers au Congrès.

Décrit comme un libertarien (il s’est présenté sous cette bannière aux élections présidentielles de 1988) et un constitutionnaliste, attaché à la responsabilité individuelle, favorable à un gouvernement fédéral limité et à une politique étrangère non-interventionniste, il se revendique avant tout comme un conservateur fidèle aux idéaux de Thomas Jefferson. Il est le seul élu au Congrès à avoir systématiquement voté contre l’intervention militaire en Irak et contre les législations anti-terroristes qui ont suivi l’attentat du 11 septembre 2001.

Les républicains conservateurs, démocrates désabusés, pacifistes de tous bords, isolationnistes, libéraux fervents, chrétiens pratiquants et libertaires athées qui le soutiennent, représentent 4% de l’opinion. Mais ils sont jeunes et manient avec dextérité les nouvelles technologies de l’information et les outils collaboratifs du web. On murmure déjà que la campagne présidentielle 2008, après les primaires, pourrait compter avec un candidat indépendant encombrant, porteur des espoirs d’une nouvelle génération d’électeurs militants.

Il se présenterait hors du GOP?

J'ai vu plusieurs interviews de lui et à chaque fois ils disaient qu'il ne comptait pas se présenter comme indépendant. Mais j'ai des doutes, puisqu'il a déclenché toute une révolution spontanée. Il est bien parti pour récolter $ 1 million sur son site (alors qu'il en voulait 500 000 seulement) http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gCXtRmt…rBEYOwD8RVF1L80

McCain: I'd Prefer Christian President

Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Saturday that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead."

In an interview with Beliefnet, a multi-denominational Web site that covers religion and spirituality, the Republican presidential hopeful was asked if a Muslim candidate could be a good president.

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles … personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said. "But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president."

Later, McCain said, "I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and defend our political values."

Asked about Republican rivals Mitt Romney's Mormon faith, McCain said, "I think that Governor Romney's religion should not, absolutely not, be a disqualifying factor when people consider his candidacy for president of the United States."

The Arizona senator was also asked about the confusion over which Christian denomination he belongs to. "I was raised Episcopalian, I have attended the North Phoenix Baptist Church for many years and I am a Christian," McCain said. He added that he has considered being baptized in the Baptist church, but he does not want to do it during the presidential race because "it might appear as if I was doing something that I otherwise wouldn't do."

La possible nomination de Giuliani cause des remous au sein du GOP:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZ_4LAl…IXPNggD8S0M16G2

Conservatives Consider 3rd-Party Run

Some of the nation's most politically influential conservative Christians, alarmed by the prospect of a Republican presidential nominee who supports abortion rights, are considering backing a third-party candidate.

More than 40 Christian conservatives attended a meeting Saturday in Salt Lake City to discuss the possibility, and planned more gatherings on how they should move forward, according to Richard A. Viguerie, the direct-mail expert and longtime conservative activist.

Rudy Giuliani, who supports abortion rights and gay rights, leads in national polls of the Republican presidential candidates. Campaigning in New Jersey on Monday, Giuliani brushed aside talk of an upstart effort by religious conservatives.

"I'm working on one party right now — the Republican Party," Giuliani said. "I believe we are reaching out very, very well to Republicans. The emphasis is on fiscal conservatism, which brings Republicans together."

Other participants in the meeting included James Dobson, founder of the Focus on the Family evangelical ministry in Colorado Springs, Colo., and, according to Viguerie, Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, a conservative policy group in Washington.

Dobson attended the meeting, but is not yet participating in any planning for a third party, said Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Focus on the Family Action. Dobson and others spoke out against the idea at the meeting, even though both major parties could nominate candidates who back abortion rights and other policies that conservative Christians oppose, Schneeberger said.

A spokesman for Perkins did not respond to requests for comment Monday.

Viguerie would not give specifics of the proposal or reveal additional names of participants, but said President Bush "would not have been elected in '04 without the people in that room."

"There is such jaundiced feelings about any promises or commitments from any Republican leaders," he said in a phone interview. "You could almost cut the anger and the frustration with a knife in that room it's so strong. Because they don't know what else to do, they're talking third party."

A spokesman for the Republican National Committee did not respond to a request for comment.

The participants were in Salt Lake City for a separate meeting of the secretive Council for National Policy, a group of conservative business, religious and political leaders that was co-founded years ago by Tim LaHaye, author of the "Left Behind" series of books. Vice President Dick Cheney flew into the city Friday to address the group, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Christian conservatives, who hold considerable sway in the Republican Party, have been deeply unhappy about the field of GOP presidential candidates.

Dobson has said he wouldn't support Giuliani, calling the former New York mayor an "unapologetic supporter of abortion on demand." Dobson has also rejected former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson as wrong on social issues, and wouldn't back John McCain because of the Arizona senator's opposition to a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

Viguerie said conservatives "are still open" to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, but said, "we haven't seen anything that guarantees that he will hold to the positions that he's articulating." Romney has been questioned about his record on gay rights.

However, the proposal to consider a third-party candidate comes from anger that the Republicans whom Christians have helped elect for decades have failed to act on policy issues important to evangelicals on abortion, marriage and school prayer.

"Conservatives have been treated like a mistress as long as any of us can remember," Viguerie said. "They'll have lots of private meetings with us, tell us how much they appreciate it and how much they value us, but if you see me on the street please don't speak with me."

A third-party run would be a long shot, requiring millions of dollars and challenges to ballot access. Such a bid could prove disastrous for the GOP by splitting the vote.

Richard Land, head of the public policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, was not at the meeting. But he said no one floating the idea of a third party thinks there's much chance the candidate would win. He considers the proposal a reaction to "moguls of the Republican establishment" who think conservative Christians will support the GOP no matter what.

"A lot of them won't hold their nose and do it," Land said.

Ca va faire plaisir à RH :icon_up: :

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington…ewt-watc-1.html

The Newt Watch -- now he says no

Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker whose political striptease over running for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination went through even more layers of clothing than Fred Thompson, sent out a spokesman today to say that the Georgian had decided not to make the effort this time.

Barely 72 hours ago the 64-year-old Gingrich had announced that a close advisor would depart Monday on a three-week nationwide trek to gauge possible financial commitments and that if he could round up $30 million worth, Gingrich didn't see how he could resist such popular pressure to run.

Today, the spokesman, Rick Tyler, said Gingrich had just discovered that he could not legally explore a political opportunity like running for president while remaining head of American Solutions, his tax-exempt political organization. So he was giving up the presidential idea. "Newt is not running," Tyler said.

A master at manipulating the media, even before helping to invent the "Contract With America" that in 1994 won Congress back for the GOP after decades of minority status, Gingrich is an erudite and eloquent speaker who retains a loyal Republican following despite his resignation after Republican election losses in 1998.

A presidential confrontation next year between Gingrich and Hillary Clinton, who so often denounced his right-wing conspiracy, would have been one of the most entertaining in decades. And the debates would have surely outdrawn reruns of "The Simpsons."

The decision's implications for the other Republican candidates seem minimal, except possibly the freeing up of some Gingrich donors awaiting his decision. You can bet that the Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee and Fred Thompson folks are calling them this afternoon.

In public, such as during the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair, Gingrich can be one of the most pointedly partisan speakers imaginable. His biting remarks leave scars not easily forgotten, and he'd never make any Democratic Lincoln Bedroom list. Yet out of office, he can also publicly debate prominent Democrats like Mario Cuomo and produce a fascinating evening of bipartisan political dialogue rich in enlightening history.

In person Gingrich's attention to and involvement with those around him is intense, like a college professor engaging students in the hall after a lecture. Win-or-lose, his …

energy is palpable and he seems to positively overflow with ideas, always pulling yet another piece of paper from his suit jacket with some new plan for reforming the stalemated American political system.

Gingrich has many of the credentials seemingly required to run for the modern American presidency. He has held elected federal office, can draw a media crowd anywhere, has written books, has been divorced and had at least one affair.

In fact, Gingrich's on-air admission last winter to Focus on the Family's James Dobson of conducting an affair while married and even while criticizing President Clinton's affair was what got many political observers thinking Gingrich would seek the party's nomination, getting the dirty laundry out in public and making it old news before opponents could leak it salaciously, a classic defense.

Gingrich has spent the ensuing months in countless interviews offering unsolicited advice from the campaign sidelines to alleged Republican colleagues, at one point calling them a bunch of pygmies. This prompted an outburst from another GOP elder, the normally calm Bob Dole: "I totally disagree with Newt Gingrich. I don't know how he has set himself up as the spokesman for the world."

Each Gingrich interview, of course, provided the opportunity to present himself as an alternative, which he never discouraged. And he appeared at various times to lean both ways -- yes, he might; no, probably not.

The fact is Gingrich has carefully constructed a network of lucrative businesses. He gives frequent lectures and all this publicity in recent months can only increase his reported $40,000 fee. He is a senior fellow at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, writes an online newsletter for Human Events, has a regular radio program reaching more than 400 stations, writes books that provide regular promotional tours and much media exposure and is a paid contributor to Fox News.

Besides the nonprofit bipartisan American Solutions, Gingrich also has a for-profit think tank, the Center for Health Transformation. So he won't be disappearing from the public consciousness.

Basically all of that business would have to be jettisoned for a presidential run that grows increasingly risky at this stage, which was once considered still pretty early and now seems very late. Polls adding Gingrich to the existing Republican field have shown him in the 7%-8% range, a lot better than Ron Paul but behind even the under-financed John McCain. Gingrich himself pointed out the other day the challenge of taking on a multimillionaire like Romney, who can write his own campaign checks.

So this looks like the end of the Newt Watch for now. Should Republicans lose the White House next year, however, there won't be many party leaders with existing followings left standing in the wreckage except maybe this tall Georgia fellow who has been issuing all these warnings and compiling his own fortune, keeps showing up on TV and will still be in his mid-60s come 2010, when the next presidential campaign starts.

Something that does strike the eye, however: Gingrich has said that if he ever did run, he would never make the announcement in such an undignified way as on a late-night talk show, as McCain, Thompson and Arnold Schwarzenegger have done.

So he makes the announcement of not running by sending out a hired hand on a quiet Saturday morning, not the day you normally pick nor the time of day to announce something you want ignored. TV and newspapers have all day to prepare their stories. Chances are today's announcement will boost the ratings for Sunday's "This Week" on ABC, where both Gingrich and former president Clinton are to appear.

Despite an entire week full of activities by all the other candidates and their travels and attacks and responses and major policy pronouncements, the Sunday newspapers, the Sunday morning political talk shows and the weekend blogosphere will now be full of buzz and chatter about what Newt Gingrich isn't doing. See what we mean about clever manipulation?

Oh, and one other thing: Regardless of the news so casually released on a September Saturday, the deadline for filing for January's New Hampshire primary doesn't come until November.

-- Andrew Malcolm

J'ai vu plusieurs interviews de lui et à chaque fois ils disaient qu'il ne comptait pas se présenter comme indépendant. Mais j'ai des doutes, puisqu'il a déclenché toute une révolution spontanée. Il est bien parti pour récolter $ 1 million sur son site (alors qu'il en voulait 500 000 seulement) http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Il a finalement levé 1 200 000 en une semaine. Dans le journal de MSNBC d'hier soir, ils faisaient un point sur les résultats du troisième trimestre. Côté Démocrates, ils n'ont parlé que de Clinton (22M$) et d'Obama (19M$) précisant qu'il ne s'agissait plus que d'une course à deux. Chez les Républicains, ils ont cité Romney (11M$), Giuliani (10M$) et Thompson (8M$) sur le premier écran. Sur le deuxième : Mac Cain (5M$) et … Ron Paul (3M$) "La surprise, représentant très peu connu du Texas, loin devant des candidats considérés comme plus sérieux comme Huckabee, Tancredo ou Hunter". C'est donc lui qui au final a pris le plus de secondes d'antenne…

Pour le quatrième trimestre, ils refont le coup du compteur sur le site. Objectif : 12 millions avant le 31/12 dont 4 d'ici la fin octobre. http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Press Release: Third Quarter Fundraising (10/3/07)

Paul Campaign Raises Over $5,000,000 In Third Quarter

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

October 3, 2007

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA -- The Ron Paul 2008 presidential campaign raised $5,080,000 during the third quarter of 2007. That is an impressive 114 percent increase from the second quarter.

Cash on hand for the Paul campaign is $5,300,000.

"Dr. Paul's message is freedom, peace and prosperity," said Paul campaign chairman Kent Snyder. "As these fundraising numbers show, more Americans each day are embracing Dr. Paul's message."

Ron Paul's 114 percent increase is in stark contrast to the decrease suffered by Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and John McCain. Romney's fundraising was down 29 percent. Giuliani was down 40 percent. McCain was down 55 percent.

October 03, 2007

Exclusive: Paul Tops $5 Mil For Quarter

Texas Congressman Ron Paul, an anti-war libertarian making his second run at the White House, will report having raised $5.08 million in the third quarter. The number, which rivals those of John McCain and Bill Richardson, was boosted thanks to last-minute online fundraising that brought in more than $1.2 million in the last week of the quarter alone.

Paul has drawn himself in sharp contrast with the rest of the field, often engaging in loud exchanges with fellow candidates over his vehement opposition to the war in Iraq. His campaign has been marked by frugal spending and a surprisingly strong online fan base; he routinely wins online straw polls after debates.

This is the second quarter in a row Paul has shown fundraising strength. Last quarter he reported having more cash on hand than McCain, a sidebar that contributed to stories of McCain's collapse.

Whether Paul will be a major factor in the GOP nominating contests remains to be seen, but his money totals - it is likely he will have outraised several second-tier Republicans and Democrats combined - mean he will be in for the long haul. Paul's campaign announced they will begin running television spots earlier this week.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/politics_…_5_mil_for.html

Je serais partant si ça se faisait.

Mis je ne vois pas comment. Et il faut avoir vachement confiance en la personne prévue.

L'idéal serait de créer un compte paypal pour un américain identifiable, en règle et complice, mais que ce ne soit pas lui qui puisse avoir accès au compte. Ensuite, on fait des virements sur ce compte paypal et de ce compte, on fait des dons à Ron Paul.

Maintenant, c'est tout de même très imparfait et je ne suis pas sûr que cela ai un impact (quelques milliers de dollars tout au plus)…

on parle, ENFIN, de Ron paul dans les grandes éditions des journaux télévisés américains

On a parlé de sa fructueuse collecte de fonds du trimestre dernier dans le World News de Charles Gibson (ABC), dans le CNN 360° d'Anderson Cooper, et également dans le NBC Nightly News !

GOO RON PAUL GOOO

So I don’t even know why we debate it any longer. How about we just make a simple statement: Tax cuts work? They work.

(APPLAUSE)

They worked for President Kennedy. They worked for President Reagan. They work for President Bush right now. They helped Germany and Japan rebuild after their economies were broken by World War II. They worked in New York City for me. Even France…

(LAUGHTER)

Even France is considering tax cuts under Sarkozy.

(APPLAUSE)

GIULIANI: Even France!

The only place — and I’ve been checking on this; maybe they’ll contradict me when they check on this — the only place — the only place anybody in the whole world is thinking about tax increases is right here in Washington, D.C. That’s it.

(BOOING)

And they happen to be Democrats and they’re running for president of the United States.

(BOOING)

I got to tell you my dream. I’ve got to tell you my dream.

Are there any psychiatrists in this audience?

(LAUGHTER)

OK. Here’s the dream.

I just read this book a few weeks ago by the new president of France, Nicolas Sarkozy. President Sarkozy is writing probably about a year ago, and he’s writing about how he wants to come to the United States — wants to come to the United States and he’s writing about how he wants to use our policies to help France.

Whether it’s reducing taxes — corporate taxes, reducing the size of government, he wants to do something very similar to what I want to do — only rehire half the people who retire to shrink the civilian workforce.

You like that idea?

AUDIENCE MEMBER: I like that.

GIULIANI: Yes, that’s a great idea, isn’t it?

(APPLAUSE)

And he wants to get the French to work more than 35 hours a week.

(LAUGHTER) Come on, we’re for that, right?

AUDIENCE: Yes.

GIULIANI: And he wants to do it by giving them tax-free income after 35 hours a week.

So I have this dream, now, about four or five times — can’t get rid of it, have it over and over again.

President Sarkozy is on an airplane. He’s flying to the United States. This other airplane is coming from the United States to France. It gets perilously close to his airplane. They almost hit as they cross over the Atlantic. They get real close to each other, like this.

So you can see inside the window of Sarkozy’s plane from the other plane, and Sarkozy can see inside the window of the plane headed for France. And they all wave to each other, because they recognize each other.

Sarkozy’s in one plane. And the people going from the United States to France waving to him are Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards.

(APPLAUSE)

They want to go to France to figure out how they can take all those failed policies and put them in effect here in the United States…

(LAUGHTER)

… bigger government, higher taxes, more regulation.

http://www.joinrudy2008.com/article/pr/853

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...