Aller au contenu

TIL - today I learnt...

Hayek's plosive

Messages recommandés

Not to be confused with Enviromarxist, although one can be both an Enviromarxist and an Environazi.

Environazis believe that animals are the master race, and that mankind are inferior, cruel and violent creatures who have plagued the earth and seek to disrupt the perceived "natural order", in which animals reign supreme.
PETA is a prime example of an Environazi organization. While they claim to merely be for the "ethical" treatment of animals, in actuality this is just a cover up to hide their true intentions. They seek to impose Environazism on the world, which primarily consists of their final solution, in which the human race will be wiped out, and their loyal members are reincarnated as animals.

Je viens d'apprendre la manière lolesque dont Bismark a manoeuvré pour que la France déclare la guerre à la Prusse en 1870. Ce qu'il souhaitait ardemment, conscient de sa supériorité militaire et en fonction d'un plan remarquable devant conduire à l'unité allemande. Il a suffit de faire croire à un congédiement humiliant de l'ambassadeur français par Guillaume de Prusse pour faire "sur le taureau gaulois l'effet d'un chiffon rouge".

C'est l'affaire de la dépêche d'Ems qui semblerait prouver que la bêtise et la jobardise des parlementaires, de le presse et de l'opinion publique française soit le fruit d'une longue tradition nationale. 

Oui les BHL de l'époque. Bon ils ont été punis, ils ont bouffés du rat pendant un certain temps.

A l'époque ça allait plus loin que quelques BHL quand même.

Metternich : "Opinion publique commence à peser sur le gouvernement au point que la paix paraît désormais impossible." Et ce pendant la crise de succession d'Espagne avant la fameuse dépêche.

Napoléon III : "C'est la paix ! Le pays sera désappointé." au moment du renoncement Hohenzollern à la couronne d'Espagne.

Enfin bon, la réalité était probablement que la guerre n'était pas autant désiré que Napoléon III l'a cru.

Opinion parisienne, surtout.

1789, 1793, 1870, 1914, c'est toujours Paris qui envoie le reste de la France au casse-pipe.

Heu en 1914 c'est l'Allemagne qui déclare la guerre à la France, hein.

Si on a le droit au IgNobel prizes dans Til, alors allons-y : http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/phlog/archive/2009/10/08/ig-nobel-prize-stolen-insane-brilliant-lectures-delivered.aspx

Medicine Prize: "Digital rectal massage as cure for intractable hiccups"

Speaker: Francis Fesmire (University of Tennessee College of Medicine, 2006 Ig Nobel winner)

Synopsis: Not to ruin the fun or anything, but here goes: Fesmire is a cardiologist, and he learned that a heart condition called SVT can be alleviated by activating the parasympathetic nervous system by way of the Vagus nerve, which runs from throat to rectum. Hiccups, thought by some to be a weird vestige of our gill-breathing days, are also caused by parasympathetic disorders. Thus, Fesmire put two and two together, and his anal-finger-blasting hiccup cure was born. Fun fact: Fesmire's find was name-checked on this episode of House, M.D.

Best quote: PowerPoint slide caption, showing Fesmire and his "Got Hiccups?" foam finger: "We All Have Our Dark Secrets."

Veterinary Medicine Prize: Cows That Have Names Give More Milk Than Cows That Are Nameless

Speaker: Peter Rowlinson (Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK)

Synopsis: Cows tended by farmers who care enough to name their livestock produce $0.20 more milk a day than their nameless counterparts. (Rowlinson posits that the naming itself is not really a causal effect; instead, it's the "complete TLC package" usually extended to named cows that includes "grooming them, chatting with them, [and] doing a bit of tickling.")  

Best quote: Audience: "If I don't name my next dog, will he produce less stuff?"

Peace Prize: Which Is Better For Fracturing the Human Skull: A Full Beer Bottle, Or An Empty Beer Bottle?

Speaker: Steffen Ross (Bern, Switzerland)

Synopsis: Hailing from the land of "mountains, chocolate, watches, cheese, and tax evasion," Ross is a forensic pathologist who brings us a finding that will give any smarty-pantsed hooligan a leg up in their next bar fight. Somewhat counter-intuitively, empty beer bottles will deal more damage to the human skull than full ones, because empty beer bottles don't splinter apart as easily as full ones, making "very handy clubs." A full beer bottle is less structurally stable, owing to the pressure the fizzy yellow swill within exerts on the glass walls of the bottle.

Best quote: Ross: "I advise you to first drink, and then hit."

Chemistry Prize: How To Grow Diamonds from Tequila 

Speakers: Javier Morales and Miguel Apátiga (Mexico)

Synopsis: Building on previous research that showed that "diamond films" could be grown from a mixture of acetone and water, Morales and Apátiga's research teamtook things a step further. They turned bottom-shelf tequila into a vapor, and superheated the gaseous molecules to 800 degrees celsius. Eventually, they were able to form carbon atoms that took the form of diamonds -- so small, they can only be seen under an electron microscope. 

Best quote: Audience: "How much tequila do I have to give my boyfriend to receive a diamond?"

Medicine Prize: "Does Knuckle-Cracking Lead To Arthritis Of The Fingers?"

Speaker: Donald L. Unger (Thousand Oaks, California, USA)

Synopsis: With a presentation that was light on science, and large on personality and unresolved mommy issues, Unger explained that his mother warned him that cracking his knuckles would give him arthritis. So, out of cheerful spite, he spent the next 60 years diligently cracking his left hand's knuckles, but never his right, and "the time has come to check it out. [dramatic pause] I see absolutely no difference. Mother, you were wrong!"

Best quote: Unger: "In case my mother was right, I didn't want to blow the good hand."

Physics Prize: Why Pregnant Women Don't Tip Over

Speakers: Katherine Whitcome (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA) and Daniel Lieberman (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA)

Synopsis: "It took three of us to make the astute observation that pregnant women walk differently," said Whitcome, a human evolutionary biology prof. Weirdly enough, though, they made a discovery that you'd think would be more well-trodden ground: pregnant woman change their posture to change their center of gravity, which is accommodated by a specially evolved lumbar curve (or lordosis). They also found "similarly dimorphic morphologies in fossil vertebrae of Australopithecus," a bipedal hominid that predates the human species.

Best quote: Audience: "How do you tell a female skeleton from a male skeleton?" Lieberman (not missing a beat): "Female skeletons are pink, and male skeletons are blue."

Biology Prize: How to Melt Garbage with Panda Feces

Speaker: Fumiaki Taguchi (Sagamihara, Japan) 

Synopsis: Pandas -- those highly Improbable animals -- feed exclusively on cellulose-filled bamboo and need a mighty strong digestive bacteria to break down all that fiber. Taguchi and his team isolated a "novel thermophile" bacteria from panda feces (which have "no stinking smell," he reports, adding: "I'm lucky"). When combined with a pile of kitchen waste, the vigorous microbes decomposed 90% of the garbage.

Best quote: Title of Taguchi's presentation: "Feces Innovation!"